NAMI – New Mexico
New Mexico’s Voice on Mental Illness
NAMI-NEW MEXICO MISSION STATEMENT
ADVOCACY – EDUCATION – SUPPORT
NAMI-New Mexico is an effective mental health organization dedicated to empowering and enlightening New Mexico’s diverse population thru advocacy, education and support.
NAMI-New Mexico accomplishes its mission by:
• Providing education programs for families, individuals, providers and communities;
• Promoting innovative, state-wide education and treatment in diverse community settings;
• Working to abolish stigma;
• Working with all branches and levels of government to promote systems change and expand resources;
• Providing safe environments to promote resiliency and recovery.
• Family-to-Family. This program provides 12-week training courses statewide for family members in which advice, support, education and access to resources are taught. We are a volunteer organization whose members live with mental illness daily. We make excellent teachers. This is one of our most outstanding programs and is well received by each community we serve.
• Peer-to-Peer. This program is a 10-week (two hours per week) experiential education course on the topic of recovery for any person with serious mental illness who is interested in establishing and maintaining wellness. The course uses a combination of lecture, interactive exercises and structured group processes. The diversity of experience among course participants affords for a lively dynamic that moves the course along.
• Connection. This program is a recovery support group program for people living with mental illness that meets weekly for 90 minutes and is offered free of charge. These groups provide a place that offers respect, understanding, encouragement, and hope.
• In Our Own Voice – Living With Mental Illness. This national program provides recovery awareness to the public. It is geared for both professional and lay audiences. Target audiences include schools, civic organizations, law enforcement, families and other consumers. This is a special presentation given by trained consumer presenters who are willing to disclose their lived experiences with mental illness.
• Legislative Coordination. A major commitment for NAMI-NM is to lobby for legislation to enhance the quality of life for each and every mentally ill person in the state of New Mexico.
Our families often feel that the relationships developed through NAMI are very important in enhancing the quality of life for their family and their consumer. The stigma, denial and shame are often difficult to overcome and they find their association with NAMI lifts these burdens.
Current as of: 07/14/2015