Went Through a Bout

This forum is for discussing depressive disorders, including Major Depression, which is a serious medical illness affecting 15 million American adults, or approximately 5-8 percent of the adult population in a given year. Unlike normal emotional experiences of sadness, loss or passing mood states, major depression is persistent and can significantly interfere with an individual’s thoughts, behavior, mood, activity and physical health.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing depressive disorders, including Major Depression, which is a serious medical illness affecting 15 million American adults, or approximately 5-8 percent of the adult population in a given year. You may post links to articles of interest related to research, information, treatment, etc. These articles may me discussed by forum members. However, while you may relate what treatment options you or your loved ones are following, it is important to understand that what works for one person may not work for another. Therefore - do not use this forum to solicit or offer specific treatment advice. This forum is for discussing the technical/ medical aspects of these disorders. For support, please post in the relevant Peer or Family support forums.
Ronnie
Are you a NAMI Member?: No

Went Through a Bout

Post by Ronnie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:49 pm

I experienced a bout of depression recently. I care for my adult son who lives with me. He is diagnosed with the bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia.
Fortunately I over-came my melancholy in a week's time. I do take a low-dose medication that in-fact helps tremendously. So, I'm better.
What with the stressors involved in promoting and supporting my son's mental health and advocacy, combined with the daily stressors of work, and the lack of attention to my own care, I find that the NAMI support group in Albuquerque provides me an opportunity to unwind in a safe and empathetic environment , of which I am unable to do outside of the group. Hence, my occasional bout of depression.
If there is anyone reading this who might feel alone in their struggles with a loved one suffering from a mental-health condition, I encourage you to get up, and get to, a NAMI support group. There is a group meeting on Monday nights for those who are diagnosed with a condition, that provides the opportunity to talk and fellowship with others who understand your experience. And there is a support group on Tuesday nights that provide the same kind of support for care-givers or concerned family members.
Don't isolate yourself. If there is one thing that I have learned through the NAMI support group it is this: Take time to take care of yourself.
Don't lose hope.